10 Small Steps To Improve Your Health
Many of us will make health-related decisions of the next few weeks, such as to lose weight, stop smoking or get moving outdoors. While it is common to set high goals, experts say that setting smaller goals could do more for our health.
“Small steps are achievable and are easier to fit into your daily routine,” says James O. Hill, Ph.D., Director of the Centre for Human Nutrition at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Centre. “They are less overwhelming than a big, sudden change.”
Small Steps To Improve Your Health – Here are 10 to try:
1. Keep an eye on your weight and work on making sure you are not gaining extra lbs. Even if you gain just a pound or two every year, the extra weight adds up quickly.
2. Take more small steps. Use a pedometer to count your daily steps; then add 2,000, the equivalent of one extra mile. Keep adding steps, 1,000 to 2,000 each month or so, until you take 10,000 steps on most days.
3. Eat breakfast. Breakfast eaters tend to weigh less and have better diets overall. For a filling and nutrition-packed breakfast, top a high-quality protein shake with fresh fruit slices and low-fat or fat-free milk.
4. Switch white bread, white pasta, and white rice to the wholegrain varieties this way you are moving towards a low glycaemic pattern of eating which is better for your blood sugar.
5. Have at least one green salad every day. Eating a salad (with low-fat or fat-free dressing) is filling and may help you eat less during the meal. It also counts toward your five daily cups of vegetables and fruits.
6. Trim the fat. Fat has a lot of calories, and calories count. Purchase lean meats, eat poultry without the skin, switch to lower-fat cheeses, and use a non-stick pan with only a dab of oil or butter. Overall you are reducing your saturated fats.
7. Consider your calcium intake, as it may also help you lose weight. Studies have shown if you eat 1000mg of calcium daily, you can keep 14 pounds of fat off the body a year. Proform Protein Shakes are ideal as a snack or meal replacement. One scoop in 400ml of low fat or skimmed milk yields 40g of protein and a whopping 900mg of calcium. The daily requirements for adults
8. Downsize. The smaller the bag, bottle or bowl, the less you will eat.
9. Lose just 5 to 10 per cent of your current weight. The health benefits are huge-lower blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides etc.
10. Keep track of your eating. Write down what you eat over the next couple of days and look for problem spots. Often, just writing things down can help you eat less. People don’t intend to eat mindlessly. But tracking your food can help you make decisions on reducing your calories by as much as 600 a day.
Most people are caught up in some kind of stress, tension, worries, and emotional problems. By relaxation not just physically but mentally can reduce stress and help release some stress problems that may be blocking your self-expression. Forty minutes a day listening to a relaxation CD (we recommend Tony Quinn Relaxation With A Purpose) can be life-changing.
10 Small Steps To Improve Your Health by Caroline Middleton Holistic Nutritionist.
Our Team are Here to Help – Call 01 8304211 to avail of A Free Consultation with one of our Nutritional Experts