Ideas for School Lunch Boxes
Back to School Nourishment for Growing Kids
As the kids gear up to head back to school, it is important to make sure their lunch boxes are ready too. While parents have been making sure all the new books, stationary and uniforms are ready to go, their lunch should not be overlooked either.
Making sure your child’s lunch box is full of good stuff to keep them going all day is vital, and Nutritionist (Martin Forde) has made a lunchbox checklist to make sure your child’s lunch is well rounded.
- One portion of starchy carbohydrate (e.g. wholegrain bread, pittas or wraps, brown rice/pasta) 1 portion of protein food (e.g. chicken, fish, egg, pulses, 1 scoop of Proform chocolate with one pint of milk to make a delicious shake)
- One portion of dairy [e.g. cheese (25g), yogurt (125g) or milk (200mls)]
- One (or more) portion of vegetables (e.g. , peppers, carrot sticks, sweetcorn, lettuce, onion)
- One (or more) portion of fruit (e.g. apple, orange, banana, kiwi. pear)
- A drink of water and/or milk
Back to School Lunchtime Treats with Proform Chocholate
PROTEIN SNACK BARS
- 4 Bananas
- 1/4 cup of Proform Real Cocoa powder
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup green and blacks dark choc chips (optional)
- Preheat oven 350F and line an 8×8 baking dish with greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor or by hand combine banana, Proform Children’s Protein Cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
- Fold in chocolate chips (saving a tablespoon to add to the top later) .
- Pour the bars into the baking dish and then sprinkle what you saved on the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 9 bars, store in the fridge for up to a week or freeze them for up to 6 months. Enjoy
Protein, calcium, and vitamin D are all needed for the normal growth and development of bone in children. One scoop of Proform with 450ml of milk yields approximately 800mg of calcium about the daily requirement for a child of 3 to 10.
Nowadays with children doing many activities Proform is a perfect snack to keep them fuelled all day long. Proform can be made up as a mousse, (simply use less milk to make it thicker).
It can be blended into a delicious milk shake or fruit smoothie. It is perfect for breakfast, a lunch box treat or an after school snack, and has that chocolate taste kids love!
by Caroline Middleton Holistic Nutritionist